|P. O. Box 5039
Hilton Head Island, SC 29938
|June 1, 2009 -- Minutes
Island Writers’ Network held a business meeting on Monday, June 1, 2009, at the Heritage Library. Moderator Lorie Getz called
the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m. There were 21 members and 2 guests present. Time was taken for introductions.
· Minutes were approved as submitted electronically.
month. Lorie announced that Marilyn Lorenz will do treasurer’s duties this summer while Max Judge is away. We need a full-
time treasurer for the fall. Our new fiscal year begins in September. Dues will continue at $12 a year.
· Regular meetings: none in July and August. Next business meeting is Mon. Sept. 14, 2009.
· Open Mike: Next one will be Monday, June 15, 2009. July and August TBA.
Bereavement policy: The membership was informed of the sad loss of Al Cornell’s daughter. In light of that, membership
decided IWN’s best policy is to share the news of member losses, send a card on behalf of the organization, and leave it to
individual members to send additional expressions of sympathy and/or memorials. Sansing will send a card to the Cornells.
Craft of Writing:
· Sansing gave a brief overview of revision guidelines. Jane Hill, webmaster, announced that they are posted on our
· Sansing gave a brief summary of a presentation by Al Chaput on the value of “The First 500 Words.”
· An editing exercise was distributed for practice in trimming excess words.
· Anthology manuscripts were returned to their authors. 27 authors submitted 102 pieces.
· Deadline for revisions is Tuesday, June 30, 2009.
· Adhere to the submissions guidelines, next page.
· Revised manuscripts should be sent electronically as a Word file to all four editors:
Lorie Getz - email@example.com
Jane Hill - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sansing McPherson – email@example.com
Norma Van Amberg - firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Sansing McPherson, Secretary
Guidelines for submitting revisions:
1. Submit as a Word attachment to all 4 editors. See addresses above.
2. Prose length maximum is ~ 3,500 words. Poetry is self-limited.
3. Single space. (We can reformat for editing purposes.)
4. Avoid hard returns (hitting “enter”) except at the end of a paragraph.
5. No extra space between paragraphs.
6. Use tab key or header tabs to indent, not space bar. Indent one inch.
7. Proofread for spelling, grammar, and typos.
8. We are using the Oxford comma convention; that is, use a comma before the conjunction for items in a series
(illustrated in #7 above and #2 below.)
Content – This anthology is intended for the general public; therefore:
1. Avoid religious, political, or other controversial platforms
2. Do not use gratuitous offensive language, violence, or sex.
3. None of the “isms” – racism, sexism, etc.
4. Use concise language.