Island Writers' Network
|April 12, 2010 -- Minutes
Call to order: Moderator Lorie Getz called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the Heritage Library with 14 members present:
James Edward Alexander, Ray Berberian, John Bickers, Benedicte Braden, Len Camarda, Lorie Getz, Jane Hill, Sansing
McPherson, Sharon Rice, Peter Schwarzlose, Greg Smorol, Charlie Thorn, and Iva Welton.
Minutes of the March 1 meeting were approved as submitted electronically.
Treasurer’s Report: Greg Smorol reported a balance on hand of $1,060.62. He has successfully filed form 1023 with the IRS
to register IWN as a tax-exempt organization..
Book Sales and distribution: Charlie Thorn reported an inventory of 192 copies of Hilton Headings. More books have recently
been placed with the Courtyard, Country Cottage (formerly Linda Hartough Gallery), Piggly Wiggly at Shelter Cove, and
Outside Hilton Head.
Open Mike: There will be Open Mike on Monday, April 19, 7:00 p.m. in the Heritage Library.
Chamber of Commerce Arts Meeting: Lorie Getz attended the March 25 meeting. The agenda focused on the BRAVO
festival. We must decide in the fall re participation in 2011.
Marketing Ideas for spring and summer:
• Bluffton Mayfest is Saturday, May 8, in Old Town Bluffton. Jane Hill reported IWN can rent a 10 x 10 booth as a non-profit
for $25. A decision on whether members with their own books can sell at our booth for that fee will be rendered when the
chairman returns from abroad. Commercial booth rate is $75. Greg Smorol suggested that, if individual members must pay
$75, IWN could pay $25 of it and let the members split the balance. James Edward Alexander reported that his book sold quite
well at last year’s event. Sansing McPherson and Ray Berberian volunteered to staff a booth. Jane Hill, James Edward, Lorie,
and Charlie Thorn will volunteer if schedules permit.
• Coligny area – Sansing said that Tom Crawford had interest from Coligny stores, including Mingles, to carry the
anthology when tourist season begins. Sansing will remind Tom to renew contact and check the Coligny Piggly Wiggly since
the Shelter Cove store has been carrying our books.
• WHHI TV – Sansing will contact Jane Jude and Mary Amonitti re publicity spots.
• Heritage Golf Tournament – Ideas were discussed in hopes of marketing books as a non-profit at the Heritage. Iva
Welton will call the Heritage office regarding possibilities for next year.
• Jane Hill briefly discussed the possibility of getting our anthologies available on Kindle. Lorie and others expressed
skepticism about releasing our texts to the Internet.
• Lisa Estes of Bay Street Trading has offered to have a reading and signing at the Beaufort store. Sansing and/or Tom
Crawford will follow up.
• Lorie announced a large book fair in Charlotte in November.
• Book idea from Mira Scott of Picture This Gallery – Sansing sketched details of an idea Mira has for a color/glossy paper
photo book. IWN could solicit photo entries and then write pieces to go with them. Publishing costs could be substantial. She
will get more details later.
• Lorie suggested we ask each published member to donate a copy of their book(s) for a display in the Heritage Library.
Possible upcoming programs: Sansing will contact two journalist friends and C.J. Lyons, a local pediatrician who writes medical
mysteries. Charlie Thorn will contact Jim Jordan, author of Savannah Gray to see if he will speak for no honorarium in return
for book sales opportunity.
Summer schedule: Consensus appeared to be in favor of meeting in June but taking July and August off. A final decision will
be announced at the May 3 meeting.
Program – “Get the Creative Juices Flowing” - Lorie Getz conducted a writing exercise where each member drew at random 3
cut-out pictures from magazines and had 10 minutes of sustained free writing incorporating one or more of the photos. Several
members shared their products at the end, to the great amusement of the group.
Open Mike – Monday, April 19, 7:00 p.m.
May meeting – Monday, May 3, 7:00 pm.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
Sansing McPherson, Secretary