|P. O. Box 5039
Hilton Head Island, SC 29938
|March 2, 2009 -- Minutes
|The Island Writers’ Network held a business meeting on Monday, March 2, 2009, at the Heritage Library in the Courtyard
Building . Moderator Lorie Getz called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Minutes were approved as submitted electronically.
New Treasurer Max Judge reported a balance on hand of $1,692.65.
Members present were Bill Altstaetter, Will Anderson, Art Cornell, Tom Crawford, Sheila Gale, Lorie Getz, Ken Getz, Anne
Grace, Max Judge, Norm Levy, Sansing McPherson, Dee Merian, Greg Smorol, Norma VanAmberg, and guest Garrett Bauman.
Open Mike: Norm Levy said Open Mike will be on March 16 at the Heritage Library.
Library Move: Bill Altstaetter reported that the Heritage Library will move the last week of March to new quarters in
Harbourside Bank Building , 852 William Hilton Parkway, Suite 2A . This building is in the south-bound lane of Hwy 278 just
beyond the Red Roof Inn and Ronnie’s Bakery. Heritage Library expects to reopen on Monday, April 6, in time for our IWN
meeting there that night. They are hiring certified library movers, so IWN does not need to pack up its own books; but they
would appreciate our weeding out any old or duplicate books to make space in tighter quarters.
Contests: Lorie Getz announced that the Writer’s Digest annual contest has a submission deadline of May 15. Writer’s Digest
also has a contest for self-published books, submission deadline of May 1 with an entry fee of $100. Details can be found online
Anthology: The following points were discussed and decided.
1. Submission deadline will be Monday, May 18 for a Nov. 1 publication goal.
2. Submissions must be sent as MS Word documents as attachments to Sansing McPherson at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Format requirement
· Submit as MS Word document only. To convert to a Word document see webpage www.iwn-hhi.org and scroll down to
“Having problems with Vista ”
· No hard returns (hitting “enter”) except at end of a paragraph
· Use indent key (not space bar) to indent paragraphs
· No spaces between paragraphs.
· Formatting such as font and line spacing do not matter because they can be changed by a universal edit.
· Sansing requests 12 point font for ease of editing.
4. Editorial committee shall consist of the following, with others who may volunteer
· Lorie Getz at email@example.com
· Sansing McPherson at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Norma VanAmberg at email@example.com
5. Our title will be Hilton Headings. There are no subject or theme restrictions
6. Members are asked to suggest cover art or photos to portray that title.
7. Membership decided not to seek outside or student contributions this year but to plan for a school competition next year,
which could increase sales.
Writing Tips: Lorie Getz shared the following tips for writers.
From Michael Crichton for fiction writers
8. Challenge the reader
9. Surprise the reader with plot twists
10. Keep the clock ticking to build tension
11. Get your facts straight
12. Make the impossible believable; write with credibility
From Reader’s Digest for memoirs and general writing
1. Write a memoir, not a biography.
2. Make diagrams of where the writing will go
3. Don’t begin at the beginning
4. Use all your senses; description should appeal to al senses
5. Build your writing muscle by writing every day; set daily goals.
ACBC Book Makers Festival in Beaufort, Sat. April 25, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· The membership voted to register IWN to sell the anthology; $25/table.
· Tom Crawford plans to go; Sansing thinks she can also; other members are encouraged to come for awhile since IWN is a
member of ACBC.
· Event will be held at the ACBC gallery with plenty of parking.
· Several IWN members will be there selling their own books.
Next General Meeting will be Monday, April 6 at the new Heritage Library location in the Harbourside Bank Building , 852 Wm
Hilton Parkway, Suite 2A.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.