Island Writers' Network
|Novewmber 7, 2011 -- Minutes
The Island Writers’ Network met Monday, November 7, 2011, in the Heritage Library, Savannah Bank Building.
Moderator Lorie Getz called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with 21 people present: James Edward Alexander,
Will Anderson, Ray Berberian, John Bickers, Tom Crawford, Judy Finman, Lorie Getz, Ken Getz, Anne Grace, Bobbi
Hahn, Bob Hamel, Jane Hill, Max Judge, Norm Levy, Trish Luckenbill, Dee Merian, Sansing McPherson, Peter
Schwarzlose, Greg Smorol, Norma Van Amberg, and Mel Witmer.
• Member Jane Hill reviewed technical guidelines for submissions for Anthology III.
• The Editorial Board from the first two anthologies, Lorie Getz, Jane Hill, Sansing McPherson, and Norma
Van Amberg, recounted format, content, and grammatical conventions requirements, all to be detailed in a
separate email document.
• Theme & Title: Consensus was that a Hilton Head/Lowcountry theme would sell better and maintain our
unique brand with readers. A working title can be decided later. Sansing will take all title suggestions, including
art/photos, via email, collate them, and send them to the membership for consideration.
• Deadline for submissions is Monday, February 6, 2012.
Minutes of the Oct. 3 meeting were approved as submitted electronically.
Treasurer’s report: Greg Smorol reported a balance on hand of $2,736.02.
Book Sales/Inventory: Sansing reported for Charlie Thorn that we have 54 copies left of Hilton Head Island:
Unpacked & Staying out of an original total inventory of 1,100 and 74 copies of Hilton Headings out of a total
inventory of 550.
Arts and Cultural Committee:
• Lorie reported that Tom Crawford will represent IWN at the Arts and Cultural Committee meeting
Thursday, Nov. 10, at 9:10 a.m. at the Heritage Library.
• Kathy Bateson, executive director of the Arts Center and A&C Committee member, has offered Heritage
skybox tickets for Thursday, April 19, 2012, for $175, hoping to fill the box with members of the arts scene. No
IWN members expressed interest.
• IWN will be listed in an ad for the Hilton Head arts scene that the A&C Committee has placed in the
December issue of USAir’s magazine, which will feature Hilton Head. Our website and a contact phone number are
included. With many A&C members sharing the cost, our share of the $900 ad is less than $50. Artist Mira Scott
designed the ad.
Open Mike will occur on Monday, November 21, at 7:00 p.m. with Norm Levy facilitating.
Publishing News: Dee Merian’s 6th book about priests has just come out. Bob Hamel has just published a poetry
book; all proceeds of his book sales go to St. Francis Catholic Church School where he is a volunteer. Max Judge’s
book, Exciting Paths to Healthy Lifestyles, will be used with Hilton Head schools and a copy given to each
participating student. Anne Grace has a piece in a new Chicken Soup book.
Holiday Party: James Edward Alexander and his wife, Toian, will host the IWN holiday party on Monday, December
12. Details will be sent to IWN members via email.
Program for January 9: Bobbi Hahn will ask area historical author, Doug Bostwick, if he can speak at the Jan. 9
meeting. David Lauderdale of The Island Packet/Beaufort Gazette was also suggested as a possible speaker.
• Tom Crawford has agreed to become IWN moderator since Lori has a work conflict.
• Judy Finman volunteered to join the Editorial Board for Anthology III.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:35 p.m.