|P. O. Box 5039
Hilton Head Island, SC 29938
|October 5th, 2009 -- Minutes
Island Writers’ Network
Monday, October 5th, 2009 – Minutes
The Island Writers’ Network met on Monday, October 5, 2009, at the Heritage Library with 12 members present: Will Anderson,
John Bickers, Bénédicte Braden, Len Camarda, Lorie Getz, Anne Grace, Bobbi Hahn, Max Judge, Norm Levy, Marilyn Lorenz,
Sansing McPherson, and Charlie Thorn. It was pointed out that the name of the bank building housing the library has changed
from Harbourside Bank to The Savannah Bank. Exterior signs already reflect this.
Moderator Lorie Getz called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m..
Secretary Sansing McPherson - Minutes of the Sept. 14 meeting were approved as submitted.
Treasurer Max Judge reported a balance on hand of $3,186.46, which reflects the recent receipt of the $818 grant from ACBC.
Dues of $12 are due now. Max asked that someone who lives in the area full time consider volunteering to be treasurer, as he
is away 4 months each year.
· Sansing circulated copies of the finalized Table of Contents so members could see which pieces are included. Members
commented that it is standard format for a table of contents to have authors’ names by each piece, and they would very much
like to see that added.
· Estimated press date is late October so we can get copies to the media for review.
· Cover ideas – Sansing circulated 3 versions of covers that David Russell has created. Most members prefer the artistic palm
trees to the sunset photograph. Several people objected to the use of the compass. Len Camarda suggested using a sketch or
photo of birds in flight in place of the compass. Charlie Thorn suggested using a nautical chart with Hilton Head Island on it as
the background of the title field and using a true compass rose with no indication of north on it. Sansing will pass these
suggestions on to David Russell.
· Marketing – Charlie Thorn reported that Jeanette Carlton, finance director at Coastal Discovery Museum has invited IWN to
sell our book at their sale on Friday, Dec. 4. Details to follow. Care should be taken not to pre-empt our debut event at the
Gallery Hop Jan. 21.
· Sales outlets – Every member is asked to keep an eye out for stores and galleries that carry local books and approach them
about carrying our anthology. Each outlet should be overseen by a member, who monitors the supply of books. We will decide
how much to charge vendors at our November meeting.
· Membership is still keenly interested in getting our book onto Amazon and into Barnes and Noble and other big chains.
Shanti North has contacted Books-a-Million in Savannah and gotten paperwork necessary to be approved for distribution at that
store. Lorie said that Ingram is the best book distributor for independently published books.
· Publicity – We will get complimentary copies of the anthology to Don McKinney and David Lauderdale of the Packet, HH
Monthly, Pink, Bluffton Breeze and other area publications as soon as available in hopes of getting reviews for December issues.
Greg Smorol has made a very nice sandwich board sign to display when we have book sales and signings.
Program suggestions – someone from Barnes and Noble regarding how to become carried there’ our own members relating their
experiences, various writing instructors from colleges.
Christmas Party – Charlie Thorn will check to see if a room and Coastal Discovery Museum is available. Sansing McPherson said
she and her husband are willing to host again on Monday, Dec. 7, unless someone else would like to.
Open Mike – Norm Levy will facilitate Open Mike on Monday, October 19, at 7 p.m. at the Heritage Library.
· Miami International Book Fair, Nov. 8-11. www.miamibookfair.com
· Scribblers’ Retreat: Writers’ Conference, St. Simons Island , GA, Nov. 12-15. www.scribblersretreatwritersconference.com
· NC Writers’ Network Fall conference, Wrightsville Beach , NC Nov. 20-22. firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Writers’ Digest $15 entry fee, Nov. 2 deadline
· Writers’ Digest, $15 entry fee, Dec. 1 deadline, 1,500 word limit. Information at www.Writersdigest.com/short.
Writing activity: Members were asked to bring 2 copies of one page that they had written to swap with partners to edit for
more concise language and then give feedback.
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Sansing McPherson, secretary